Originally Black Mesa, a Half-Life remake using the Source engine, was supposed to be released at the end of 2009, but the development team underestimated the work that was still to be done. Ever since then news and updates about the Source-Mod have been rare and rather small. Now it seems like the project is slowly heading towards its end.
Lead designer Daniel "Raminator" Junek posted some interesting statistics in to Black Mesa's forum.
- Half-Life 2 contains 68 maps totalling 610 MB; Black Mesa contains 53 totalling 1748 MB
- Half-Life 2 contains 4412 textures totalling 1015 MB; Black Mesa contains 5084 totalling 3135 MB
- Half-Life 2 contains 2095 models totalling 409 MB; Black Mesa contains 2166 totalling 461 MB
- Half-Life 2 contains 5514 sound effects (including NPCs and dialogue) totalling 960 MB, Black Mesa contains 5930 totalling 2305 MB
- Half-Life 2 contains 1836 choreographed scenes; Black Mesa contains 2245
At the time of posting, Black Mesa is 7884 MB. Using standard WinRAR compression, it packs down to 3682 MB.